Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vacation trips

We went on a lot of vacations in the summer. I think my first memories of taking a long road trip was at about age 6. It was after we had moved to Wichita. We had a station wagon. The middle seat and the far back seat would both fold down completely flat. When we went on a trip, we would fold down the back seat to put some of our stuff in (and then they'd put a thick folded blanket all over the top of it ). The middle seat of course was left up so the three of us girls could sit on it. We put a lot of our bags ect. in a luggage rack on top of the car. I loved riding in the back end, curled up on that thick blanket, with the sun beating in the back window all toasty- --I would usually go to sleep. Of course the rest of the family liked me there too, because when I was sleeping I couldn't be Koochie-Kooing anyone.lol Funny thing is---we always went west, sometimes it was southwest, sometimes it was northwest and sometimes straight west (the middle). We went to all the national parks and some of them we camped in.

We played a lot of silly games on the road, keeping us busy and passing time. It is the same games I played with our kids when we were traveling. One game we played was one person would pick something and then we would all try to find one, like a windmill, silo, barn ect. When it was Danny's turn one time he picked a "truck with a lot of trees on it" He meant a lumber truck. I said to him we would never find one of those in the area of the country we were in and wouldn't you know in about five minutes we met one coming toward us. That was pretty funny!

I hope I didn't confuse anyone here because I skipped generations. I started this out when I was six and ended with a trip with my children. I'm explaining it for our future generations.

4 comments:

  1. i remember lots of games in the car too. hours and hours of them. i think there's a lot to be said for those games, and many memories. it's one of the reasons i'm so resistant to dvd players in the car, although we now have one. one question though... you didn't mention the seatbelts. where were they??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undiscovered, you were unemcumbered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love playng games in the car.One game i like to play is when you go through the alphabet starting with a.we would have to find a sign or something that started with a.Then we would go to the next letter.My dad says next time we come to Oklahoma we are gonna make bingo cards and in the car play roadkill bingo.lol.love,Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannha I have never played roadkill bingo. One thing that grandpa and I did one trip was we counted and kept track of all the roadkill on the way to North Dakota.

    ReplyDelete