Friday, March 27, 2009

Beech Day at Joyland

Joyland was our large amusement park in Wichita when I was a child. It catered more to older kids and adults, we had a Kiddyland for the small kids. Joyland was connected by a walking bridge to a regular park with a playground, pavillion and picnic tables.

Once a year in the summer, Beech aircraft would reserve Joyland for all of it's employees and their families. Mom would pack a big ole' picnic lunch and we would all head for the park. We went to the regular park first and found us a spot. We would unload all of our stuff and set up our picnic area. Mom and dad usually brought a blanket to spread out under a tree so they could relax while us kids went to the rides. This was our point of contact--this is where we were to all meet at certain times. It worked great and we always had a wonderful time. The picnic always tasted great also!!

One year (one of the years when I was a little older, probably around 10) I fell in love with the roller coaster. The octopus had always been my favorite up until then. I would get off of the roller coaster and get right back in line to go again. The line was not ever terribly long. This particular year I rode the roller coaster 23 times before they closed the park on me.

Although Joyland seemed big to us, it was nothing compared to the immense parks we have today like the Six Flags parks. We thought it was just the right size for us to have a great time, and we did!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney inherited your love of roller coasters. Last time at Disney, I think she rode Expedition Everest 7 or 8 times in a row. I had to drop out after 4 or 5.

    As for it being small....I laugh every time I go by Frontier City. At one time that roller coaster seemed so big to me. That was before I had ever ridden a loop roller coaster. Now that I have ridden so many, I realize how puny it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twenty three times!! Wow!! I'm impressed! My personal favorites are the octupus and the tilt-a-whirl. Not much of a roller coaster fan. Jeremy likes them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I like the tilt-a-whirl real well too. That is the ride that makes Danny sick!!

    ReplyDelete