Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Uncle Felix and me

Uncle Felix was my favorite uncle on my mom's side of the family. He was so much fun---he was 10 times ornrier than I ever thought of being. He was always pulling something! He in turn thought I was a HOOT. We got along famously, as they would say. Us girls stayed with him and Aunt Mabel, I guess it was because maybe mom and dad took a little trip but don't really know for sure. I do remember that Uncle Felix and I went somewhere in the car. (they were living on the farm at the time). To go anywhere and get back we had to use gravel roads, that is what there is in the country. We were riding along having a good time, I was sitting in the front seat with him. We started going around a curve and all of a sudden my car door flew open and I started sliding out of the car. He grabbed me just in time by my ankle!! It was quite scarey. From then on when we went anywhere in the car, I sat right up next to him.

Kathy and I were taught to play cards at a very young age. The game of choice back then was a card game called "Pitch". One evening, mom, dad, Uncle Felix, Aunt Mabel, Kathy and I were at their house and we all decided to play a game. (Michelle was still a bit too young to play cards.) Well I was sitting up there thinking I was as big as the rest of them, and of course using my very best manners. Uncle Felix went into the kitchen and got us all a glass of soda. A bit later I picked up my glass and took a little sip and I spilled just a little bit on my dress. Well, I wiped it off trying not to bring any attention to myself over it. We went on playing cards. I went to take another drink of my coke and I spilled a little bit on me again---I was really embarrassed because I usually wasn't messy at all and I was trying so hard to be a big girl and watch my manners! About that time, I looked over at Uncle Felix and he was cracking up--I had not disappointed him at all with my reactions to his prank. He had given me a dribble glass!!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember hearing about the dribble glass. Too funny.

    Cards were a big part of family get togethers. I remember hours of playing spades when we were all together. It was kind of a "right of passage" to learn to play an adult card game and sit at the table with them. Harder to do with a dribble glass though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the story about you almost falling out of the car. Thank goodness for his quick reflexes, huh? And I do happen to think the dribble glass was not very nice! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe not very nice, but it sure was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete