Saturday, March 7, 2009

Easter

Since it is fast approaching another Easter I thought I would write about our Easters when I was a little girl. I doubt that it is a whole lot different than the traditions of today, and I'm also sure I don't remember all there is to say on the subject. Parts of it are pretty hazey but I'll do my best.

We didn't color the Easter eggs. The Easter bunny did that before he brought them to us. He would hide them outside if the weather was good, but if it wasn't he would hide them around the house. I liked it best when he hid them outside. We would run around with our new Easter baskets, looking for those eggs as if they were golden. And of course we would carefully place them in our baskets as all little excited children would do. lol

We always got our fair share of candy too. Lots of jelly beans we got to pick out of all that artificial grass in our baskets. There were different candies of different shapes and sizes and of course some of them were chocolate.

One year we got little baby chicks. They were so small, so soft and fluffy. We loved them so much but we knew from the beginning that we couldn't keep them--they would be going back to the farm the next day. They couldn't be very hapy living in our house in the city. We were all okay with that and just played and loved on them while we could. Seems like we got little ducklings one year too with the same understanding that they were going to be gone soon.

We always got a new Easter outfit to wear to church . I mean these were dressy outfits. The dresses were usually some kind of silky material, like organza or satin and always trimmed up real fancy with lace or ruffles. The dresses were only the beginning. We also got Easter hats (bonnets), white patton dress shoes, lacey socks, white gloves and a nice little purse. Mom always got her new outfit too and we sure looked sharp when we went to church!!

1 comment:

  1. Too bad you couldn't have kept the chicks and ducklings. They would have had a great time in your pool! Easter is one of my favorite holidays. So many traditions...

    ReplyDelete