Thursday, March 5, 2009

Two girls and a door jamb

Kathy and I remember this one a bit differently, but considering it happened fifty years ago we think that is just fine to have our own version. So here is my version. We were at an age that we could stay home alone during the summer while mom and dad were at work. Mom always left a list of chores that we were suppose to do by the time they got home. Of course each day's list was different because all chores didn't need to be done every day. We didn't have a clothes dryer so there was always wet clothes to hang out on the clothesline, or bring in or iron (no permanent press material!!)

I hated cleaning the bathroom and Kathy would always decide that it was my job (she claims mom said so). lol She tried to get me to do this chore and I just wouldn't do it. I tried trading jobs with her, even offered to do two or three if she would do the bathroom. No dice!!She finally got tired of trying to get me to do it. She had gotten the ironing board and iron out to do some ironing. Frustrated with me, she started chasing me through the house with that iron ( it was a cold iron, it had not even been plugged in yet).Well I ran and squealed and dodged her for awhile. Then I ran into my bedroom and slammed that door as hard as I could and sat down on the floor up against it and was pushing with all my might.!! She was on the other side doing the same thing--then finally it happened!!! The door went on through to the other side tearing off all the woodwork on the door frame. The door was not suppose to open out into the hall---now it did!!

We all of a sudden started working and thinking together so we could get it fixed before mom and dad came home. We got the pieces back where they were suppose to be and all nailed into place. We thought we did a great job!!!

I went in and cleaned the bathroom, Kathy started her ironing and we both said NOTHING to mom and dad about it.

Years later when we were adults with families of our own, we were together and told mom and dad about it. We (including mom and dad) were laughing and mom said "you know, I thought there was something strange about that door, but sure never would have thought it was because of this!!"

7 comments:

  1. haha i remember this story from the ranch grandma. didn't someone else kill a door then changed it with one from the closet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aunt michelle's kids broke a door too, and yes i think they changed it for a closet door!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has the statute of limitations expired on anything Laura and I did as kids? If so, we could start telling you all the things you never knew (or we thought you never knew) and cleanse ourselves of all our guilt. OK.....maybe not such a great idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Statute of limitations is way over, go for it. Now of course it would be funny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was mostly kidding. I am sure there are tons of them, but nothing that any kid does not have. Just covering up for the stupid things every kid gets themselves into. Just part of being a kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. like the aunt toots' pie incident?

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's funny! I hadn't heard that story. Funny the things that will get siblings working together again, huh?

    ReplyDelete