Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sewing and the Yellow Tutu

Around the age of ten I started wanting to sew. Mom showed me the basics of how the machine worked. One of the best pieces of advice she gave me was to keep my fingers out from under the needle. This proved to be great advice because I never did sew across any of my fingers!! I mostly sewed for Michelle's dolls. I made gathered skirts, nightgowns and doll blankets.I really enjoyed doing this and the usually very active child was able to sit still for quite some time to do this.

All this "play"sewing paid off in the future for me. I made straight A's in my sewing class two years in a row. At my private school it wasn't home education it was just sewing. I made a beautiful lined four piece suit in my sophomore year. And guess what--the sewing machines at school were treadle. Ain't that a HOOT!!!

Later on in life, I made most of my maternity tops when I was pregnant with Danny. Once Laura came along I made most of her little dresses. I always had her dressed so cute until she reached the age to pick out her own clothes and she mostly wanted jeans. When we were in Germany the second time from 1976 to 1979, I made a lot of my own clothes---they were beautiful. I also made a ballet costume for Laura. The only pattern available over there at the time was a junior girls size 7. Laura was six years old!! It was undoubtedly the hardest thing I ever made, but I did get it done and it looked great. She wore it to dance a couple minutes and then it was over. What is not over is the memories of her and me trying it on quite often and trying so hard to get it to fit her little body. I was so proud of her because she looked so pretty and I was proud of myself for a job well done. I must say "I teared up again."

4 comments:

  1. lots of thoughts on this one... first of all, sewing is a lost art. i don't do it well, and while taylor likes it, i don't know enough to teach her very much but we do the best we can. at school, they certainly don't teach sewing anymore. they don't even do home ec. now, it's "life skills" and includes little to no sewing whatsoever. i remember many outfits made by you, and even though they are now very 70's looking (of course), i felt very beautiful and loved them all. especially that ballet outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember one time taylor made me a skirt.Except the skirt was one worn out pant leg from jeans.I had to squeeze my 6 year old body in that thing.lol:]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet that was a tight squeeze!

    ReplyDelete