Friday, March 27, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Drives

We always went to church on Sunday morning. When we got home we would change out of our Church clothes. Mom would usually make a special mid-afternoon meal such as a roast or fried chicken. We usually had quiet Sunday afternoons.

Once in awhile dad would suggest we go for a drive in the country. We would head out not knowing which direction the roads would take us. I always figured that dad knew exactly where we were though. We would be basically out in the middle of nowhere on gravel roads "enjoying the scenery". One time I asked him where we were and he said he didn't know. That bothered me a lot, my dad was always suppose to know where we were. So I got out a map to try to figure out where we were. Of course that couldn't be done because those country roads we were on weren't necessarily on the map. He did get us home though, surpringly enough to me, with no problem.

From then on I always tried to be sure that dad knew where we were!!

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing quite like a country drive. When I was in high school about once a week I would take the back way home...just so I could enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to go on long country drives all the time. We love them. We don't go as much as we used to, but a few times a month, the kids (even the older girls) will ask to go for a drive. And I'm glad Grandpa never got you lost. Ha!

    ReplyDelete