Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hives

One time in the middle of the night, I woke up to go to the bathroom. When I went to get out of bed I couldn't stand up on my feet. It was very scarey because I didn't know what was wrong with me. I got down on my hands and knees and crawled into mom and dad's room. Mom woke up just before I got to her bed. I was crying by then and told her I couldn't walk. How horrible that would be for any mother to hear!! She got me out in the living room where there was more light so we could figure out what the problem was. I had a very bad case of hives all over me, even on the soles of my feet!!

Good news was---I wasn't crippled, bad news was I felt miserable for a two or three days before the hives were completely gone. Mom had me putting a paste of baking soda and water on the hives and they did start getting better from the first application. I hated doing this because it was so messy. Mom also had me soaking in the tub a couple times a day---she put something in the water, it might have been baking soda also but I'm not sure.

As to the cause of the hives, we (well mom) thought it was probably because I had been eating so many tomatoes in the previous few days. I mean I ate a LOT of tomatoes. It was the season when you could get those big red-orange home grown ones. The flavor of these tomatoes were incredible (to a tomato lover.) I still love a good home grown variety of red orange-tomatoes!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had more than hives. Hives will go away in at most a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just changed how long I had the hives or whatever they were---after thinking about it I think I only had them a few days, not a week. Whatever we call it, it didn't go away in a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been very uncomfortable, and hard for you to deal with, as active as you were. Good thing it wasn't anything more serious though, huh? I bet Grandma was actually pretty relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably poison ivy from fabrique creek. You should have put some bleach on it!

    ReplyDelete