Monday, March 23, 2009

The Good Old Summertime

What kid doesn't like summer? I can still remember how I felt on the last day of school before summer vacation started. I was so excited about all the fun I would have playing outside all day.

We had so many games to play with all the neighbor kids and had so much fun. We all got along very well most of the time considering the differences in our ages. Then sometimes I would just play something different with just one or two of the kids. Sometimes I liked just going off by myself to do something. One of my favorite things to do was to climb trees. There was a large church yard across the street and up about half a block. In that yard was a fantastic climbing tree. I loved to climb it way up as high as I could go, and then just relax up there and watch and listen to the birds. I thought that was so beautiful and so peaceful. It became my "quiet" place.

Once in awhile in the evening, dad would say "hey, why don't we all go to the dairy queen?" Of course he never got any objections to that suggestion. Not one of us ever said no! lol I usually got a root beer float. I really liked those a lot when I was a kid. Once in awhile the ice cream man would come by our neighborhood playing "pop goes the weasel" on his truck speaker. Oh, how exciting that was!! A couple of us would stand guard by the street so he wouldn't go past, and the other one of us would run in to get some money. We always got to get an ice cream, but he didn't come by all that often---maybe once a week or so. I like fudgesicles and orange popsicles!

5 comments:

  1. Was that tree still there when we went to the old house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so! I'm not positive of course because we didn't walk over there. I probably couldn't have picked out the "right" tree anyway, after fifty some years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we still occasionally get the ice cream truck in our neighborhood too. i remember chasing it through the neighborhood with amanda one day when she was about six. didn't think to have kids stand guard! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in reading these stories, your childhood seemed like such a wonderful time in your life. I hope my sons can grow up with such great stories of their own.

    ReplyDelete