Monday, March 30, 2009

My Shoplifting Spree

When I was probably five years old I went grocery shopping with mom. We went up and down the aisles getting a little of this and a little of that--just a few things we needed. When we were finished shopping we went to the checkout lane. We were in line for a little while so mom and I just talked some more. Once we got checked out and the groceries all put in the car, we got into the front seat to go home. Before mom even started the car, I offered her a piece of gum. The look on her face showed a bit of confusion as she asked me ("where did you get that gum?) I said that "they had some free ones by the cash register." Mom explained to me that they were for sale not free and that I had to take it back. I was really scared to take that gum back! I thought they might even put me in jail! These were the thoughts running through my mind as mom walked me back into the store. I handed the gum to the clerk and told her that I took it and didn't give her any money. She took it from me and asked me if I was ever going to do that again. I assured her that I wouldn't. She said "I'll let you go this time but don't be doing that anymore." I felt so relieved and happy as I walked out of the store and back to the car with mom.

I told mom that I thought they were free like the candies in the diners or restaurants. There just about always was a bowl of candy that said "take one" up by the cash register when we paid our bill. So I of course thought that the gum by the register was the same thing. I was a kid--they had free gum--I took one, simple enough huh?

My crime spree ended just that quickly!!

5 comments:

  1. And a life-long criminal was born. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I escaped having to go to prison! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started much earlier at about 5 months with a restaurant spoon that I dropped down my snowsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, I guess cleptomania runs in the family!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously though, i would have bopped the employee. You didn't do it to steal. It was an honest mistake. She probably could have just made sure you understood that in a store, nothing is free. I'm glad you didn't go to jail though! lol

    ReplyDelete