Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dad's funeral & touring Louisville, Flush, and Wamego

Just got back from going "uphome" for my father's (George Wendell Younge) funeral. We had a memorial mass at St. Bernard Church in Wamego Kansas. We laid him to rest beside my mother (Mary Lucille "Lu" Younge). It was a very nice service and my sister Kathy gave a great eulogy. He will be missed a lot by all of us. This was March 14, 2009.

Although we were brought together for a sad and somber reason, we all had a great time afterwards. It is the first time we have all been together for a long time. We had a barbecue at the motel after the service and just really enjoyed ourselves.

A group of us went on a sightseeing trip to Louisville and the Flush area. We saw the incredible house that I described in a couple of my earlier blogs. The one with the wrap around porch, lattice work, beautiful flowers, great trees and a huge lawn that goes clear down to the creek. It is the one in Louisville where my dad was raised and later belonged to my Aunt Vivie. It was a terrible unkempt mess. It looked like a slum---the whole town looked like a slum! I wanted to post about it for the record, but I choose to remember it the way it was when I was a small child climbing trees and playing on the fantastic porch and porchswing.

On the way home we also found my childhood home in Wichita, Kansas. My address was 1215 Waverly Drive. Although the home has been remodeled, and our beautiful swimming pool has long ago been filled in and gone, at least it wasn't trashed like the other one. I will still remember it the way it was almost sixty years ago. Sometimes long ago memories are much better than reality and this is one of those cases.

We also went to a few old cemeteries and found a lot of my ancestors graves. We found both sets of my grandparents and most of my dad's brothers and sisters. We also found a few of my mothers brothers and sisters.

A group of us also went to the Oz museum in Wamego, Ks. My granddaughter Sarah just loved it and was so excited to get to go see it.

There is more to tell, of course, but I will let some of the other bloggers fill in the blanks.

3 comments:

  1. It was really nice to see everyone again:) It was also great to learn more about the family history & to vist the town of Wamego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from family vacations, which are really in a different rhelm and for a much different purpose, that was by far my favorite trip. Even with my feeble memory, I will remember that trip for a very long time. I shared all the pics with the kids and Jeremy last night. It was a very sweet time, showing them gravesights, homes and old churches where it all got started. Okay, now I'm crying again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both cry very easy over sentimental things. I tear up over things that don't even phase some people. And you know what, there is not one thing wrong with that!!

    ReplyDelete