Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dancing With Dad

Dad really loved to dance. Him and mom would go out dancing quite often while us girls were small. We had a stereo in the living room that was actually two large pieces of furniture. Each piece was a blonde wood box about four feet high and three feet wide. They both had lids that lifted up from the top. The one piece was the record player and also had some speakers below that. The other piece was a storage place for the record albums plus it had speakers also. They had them across the room from each other to get the best stereo effect. For my future great grandchildren I will say that a record album was (or is) a large round black vinyl disc about the size of a small pizza. It had grooves in it so when the needle was placed on the spinning record it would play music. My mom and dad had quite a few record albums and most of them were instrumentals. They were different orchestras. The only one I can recall the name of is Ray Coniff. We played them quite a bit and once in awhile dad would dance with us girls. He said we danced as good as the women friends he would dance with when they went out for the evening. I don't really think we did, that's just the way dad's are with their "little girls".

2 comments:

  1. That's cute. Another memory that I can visualize in my head. You certainly were a very lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete