Friday, June 26, 2009

Seventies Fashions

The seventies were a lot of fun in the fashion world. It was full of bell bottoms, mini skirts, short shorts and go-go boots. I, of course, was always in style and enjoyed this decade for a lot of reasons. I had all of the before mentioned items and especially loved my white vinyl knee high go-go boots. I was really quite amused when I found my little two year old Laura a pair of white boots also. She was so cute in them and got a lot of comments.

I did a lot of sewing in the early seventies (well actually I did a lot of sewing longer than that). I enjoyed sewing and was quite good at it. I made most of Laura's clothes when she was little, mostly little dresses and short sets. I made her and I dresses out of the same material once and we really looked sharp although my son still teases me about this. I made him one shirt to match a play set of Laura's but found that button holes were too hard with the old machine I had so I didn't make him anymore shirts. I think Danny was glad about this. lol I did make Laura and I skirts and tops to match some years later to wear when we went to Germany again. It was a seventies thing---what else can I say.

The guys wore a lot of plaid polyester jackets and solid colored leisure suits and the boys had hush puppies for dress shoes. They also sometimes wore white belts and shoes. Danny and Dave both had the white belts but no white shoes. Dave wore his white belt with his light blue leisure suit. Danny's dressy outfit was solid colored pants and a houndstooth sport jacket. The jacket was big enough on him he was able to wear it a couple of years. He only dressed up so seldom that I felt it would be a waste of money to buy him more dressy clothes.

It was fun to be fashionable in the seventies.

3 comments:

  1. looking back though, i have to say it wasn't the most fashion forward era I've ever seen! lol Nonetheless, the matching outfits were cute! In fact, I also looked cute. You did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made most of the dresses and playsets you wore up to age five or six.So when you look at all the pictures know that I probably made the little dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved my hush puppies. hours of enjoyment rubbing them one direction to make it lighter, and then the other direction to make it darker.

    And yes.....in hindsight the fashions look odd. It is one of my favorite parts of the old home movies.

    ReplyDelete