Monday, June 29, 2009

Have Truck Will Travel

Once I had Pat (our new neighbor) to run around with, we went and did a lot of things. We only had one car and Dave needed it to go back and forth to work. If I needed the car to go shopping or appointments I would get up early and take him to work and then have to go pick him back up. Well, Pat and Dick had two vehicles. Dick drove his motorcycle to work and Pat had a pickup with a camper on the back. We loaded our kids in there and went lots of places. Even in the summertime, we had a lot of low clouds or high fog what ever you want to call it. In other words we didn't have as much sunny weather as people farther from the ocean did. We would pack up the kids and a picnic lunch and go across the Golden Gate Bridge to a beach near Sausalito. Our housing area was pretty close to the bridge and by the way it is not gold it is a brick red. The prettiest and most impressive bridge over there is the Bay Bridge. It is a double decker bridge, the upper part goes one way and the lower part the other way. It is the bridge that connects San Francisco to Oakland. The kids would play in the sand and run in the surf. Pat and I would just soak up some sun and enjoy the peace and quiet. It was just beautiful and we would spend the day there.

4 comments:

  1. I bet that was beautiful! What great memories you have, Mom! I do think I remember their truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do have some great memories and they far outweigh the "not so great" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the same truck that they had in Germany when you were from six to eight years old, so you probably do remember it. It was kind of a copper color with a camper on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Smith's were great. I remember doing lots of things with them. Funny how at the same age, Tracy and I go together with other couples for cards while our kids played....just like with the smiths. The japanese tea garden stands out from San Francisco, as does all the elementary schools I went to.

    ReplyDelete