Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Little About Laura

Laura was a very friendly and outgoing little girl. She made friends very easily and warmed up to just about everyone. She always had a bunch of friends. She was a very happy little baby, hardlly ever cried. My dad had even commented upon leaving from a week's visit that he had not heard her cry at all in the whole week he was there. Her needs were taken care of and she was very contented. As she got older she would approach anyone and everyone, there was no such thing as a stranger to her. She did seem to prefer men when we were in a setting that she was exposed to both men and women. I didn't like the "approaching strangers" part of her personality and really had to keep an eye on her when we were out in public or she would be sitting on someone's lap. She learned that this wasn't a good thing to do as she got older of course.

Her favorite things to play with were her doll George and the baby buggy. We lived in a six plex and had carports across from us and we were also at a dead end. This was ideal for little kids to play because anyone driving up there was going real slow. I would prop our front door open so she could come in if she wanted to. She would push George up and down the sidewalk in the buggy. She also had a good selection of trikes and tyke bikes and assorted ride on toys and wagons ect.

When she was inside she would sit for a very long time playing with her "little people". I had bought her a couple of the Fisher Price L'il People playsets. Each set came with a few little people and a few pieces of furniture or other accessories. She loved them so much that I got her the Fisher Price Dollhouse for her next birthday. There was a lock on our bedroom door that would let the door open a few inches but not all the way. I was in the bedroom wrapping her dollhouse when she opened the door that few inches. I thought I had jumped up and blocked her view of the gift, however the next day on her birthday she asked me if she could open her dollhouse. lol

We didn't have Barney like the kids of today have. We had Sesame Street and the Electric Company and Laura just loved them. When they were on she was just mesmerized. She would sing along with all the songs and particularly liked Big Bird. She also liked a show called the Banana Splits. (I think that was the name of it.) Danny liked this one too.

I would often go next door and get Monica to come play with her. They played so nice together and I preferred having them in our house. Laura was a year and a half younger than Monica and I just needed my baby girl close by.

Now this one might surprise someone, from a very young age she already loved babies. She just couldn't keep her hands off of them. This did eventually become a little problem. As she got older she would try carrying the little kids around. She wasn't big enough to do this safely. One mother in particular would get very upset when she saw Laura picking up her little one and would come knocking on our door to let me know about it. This is actually the only thing that I can remember that she ever did that I had to punish her for (between the ages of two and six).
She simply could not resist loving and holding these little kids. She told me when she grew up she was going to have lots of kids.

3 comments:

  1. Funny how different we were then, and now. She is still outgoing. Even in Wamego, it was her that went up to the door at the house of your cousin in Flush. I would NEVER have done that. All the things you said about Laura's temperament and her love of kids still applies.

    And yes....it was the banana splits. One night about a year ago I has insomnia and was up in the late night hours. I was seeing what was on, and came across the banana spits on the cartoon network. I had to watch for a couple minutes just from nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, both of you grew up but are still basicly the same type personality that you were as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm still toting around babies! lol Didn't know that I wanted a big family, even then though. I can remember as a teenager thinking four would be a nice number. Of course, that's before I realized how much fun they are!

    ReplyDelete