Friday, June 5, 2009

Move to San Francisco and the Oakland Zoo

Dave come back from his second tour in Viet Nam in early summer of '72. Our next assignment was in the Presidio of San Francisco. We had a little time to get everything ready for the packers and for Dave to see his extended family before we headed west again.We had to give our dog away, it broke our hearts but we felt it was the best decision for the dog. Dave had heard that there was little to no yards in San Francisco and that he wouldn't have anyplace to run around and no place for us to walk him to do his "thing". As it turned out, we did have a yard but he would have had to be on a chain because it wasn't fenced. We had a large woods right out beside us.

Our quarters were very nice. It was two story with the bathroom and three bedrooms upstairs and the living & dining rooms and the kitchen downstairs. If I had to pick something wrong with it, it would be that the only bathroom was upstairs. One of my first purchases was a safety gate to put across the top of the stairs at night. I was afraid that one of the kids, and in particular the baby, would get up in the middle of the night and turn the wrong way and fall down the stairs. She navigated them pretty well during the day, afterall she was going on two years old. lol Most of the time she was downstairs with me.

The first family fun thing we did together was to go to the Oakland Zoo, across the double decker Bay Bridge. They had a small amusement park so we put the kids on a few rides before going to look at the animals. The first ride we saw was the carousel (merry-go- round). So the kids and I got on, Danny of course was a big boy and was able to get on his horse with just a small boost to get his foot in the stirrup. I lifted Laura on her horse of choice and stayed there to be sure she didn't fall off. When the ride was over, Danny hopped off and was ready and eager for the next ride. Laura, however, hung on to that pole with all her might. She didn't want off and the only way she was going to come off was if I physically forced her to. I told Dave that she wasn't going to get off so give me a couple more tickets and he could go put Danny on a few more rides. After all the rides we went over to the petting zoo and had a great time. It was a wonderful day.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the Presidio quite vividly. I don't remember the trip to the Oakland zoo, but know them from pictures or video we have. I do remember many sites in San Francisco, but I am sure they were after a couple years when I was older.

    That being said....I remember the hotel we stayed at before the quarters were ready. I remember getting in trouble for riding the elevators with other kids for fun after being told not to. I also seem to recall the Watergate hearings going on and being mad when they pre-empted my favorite cartoons. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. it won't surprise you that I don't remember this, other than from pictures. Sad that we had to give away the dog, and especially one that was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was an awesome dog,except when he got loose. The reason you can't remember is that you were not quite two years old

    ReplyDelete